Commercial Cooking Equipment

Commercial Cooking Equipment

General guidelines for installation, alteration and maintenance of commercial cooking equipment

The owner or operator is responsible to ensure all laws, codes and standards are OBEYED

This information is intended to provide you an overview of the minimum requirements for commercial cooking equipment maintenance within the jurisdiction of North Bay.

The technical requisites pertaining to commercial cooking equipment are referenced in:

Ontario Fire Code

National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 96-2011

Ontario Building Code

North Bay Licensing By-Law

Natural Gas & Propane Installation Code

Ontario Electrical Code

The authority having jurisdiction (North Bay Fire and Emergency Services) can administer these documents or involve other agencies to determine compliance.


Alteration or replacement of commercial cooking equipment

Alteration is the repair/renewal or extension of the commercial cooking equipment.

Do I require a permit?

Yes - A building permit is required for an alteration to an existing system or installation of a new system.

How do I obtain a building permit?

At the North Bay Building Department, 2nd floor City Hall, 200 McIntyre St E, Ph# (705) 474-0400. A representative will assist you with the requirements.

Do I need a permit to relocate or replace an appliance?

No - Only if the change includes electrical modifications in which case a permit must be obtained through the Electrical Safety Authority.

What else do I need to consider when relocating or replacing an appliance?

The commercial cooking exhaust suppression system shall be assessed by a qualified fire safety supplier to determine its compliance. Modifications may need to be made to ensure it lawfully operates.


Cleaning Schedule

How often do I need to clean my exhaust hood system? 

The entire system shall be cleaned of grease and oil residues (to bare metal) at intervals outlined in NFPA 96-2011.

NFPA 96 – 2011 Type or Volume of Cooking Requirements


Systems serving solid (wood/pellet) fuel cooking operations


Systems serving high-volume cooking operations such as 24-hr cooking, charbroiling, or wok cooking


Systems serving moderate-volume cooking operations


Systems serving low-volume cooking operations, such as churches, day camps, seasonal businesses, or pizza ovens



Can I remove grease filters while operating my appliances?

No - The filters must remain in the hood canopy until all kitchen appliances are turned off.

Can I clean my exhaust system myself?

No - The system shall be cleaned by an approved company acceptable to the North Bay Fire Department. Speak with a fire department representative for the up-to-date approved companies.

How often does my commercial exhaust hood suppression system need to be tested/checked?

The suppression system requires a qualified company to check/test the system every 6 months.

Do my gas appliances need maintenance?

Yes - They require annual testing by a qualified TSSA inspector.

Yes - They also need to be cleaned of grease and combustible deposits as frequently as necessary to reduce the fire hazard.

Do I need Makeup Air?

Yes - NFPA 96-2011 requires makeup air for all exhaust systems. Carbon Monoxide can be produced if there is not enough makeup air.