With a chill in the air this Victoria Day weekend, North Bay Fire & Emergency Services would like to provide a few pointers to the die-hard campers and cottage goers as well as for the safe use of fireworks. May ‘2-4’ is a time for celebration….not tragedy.
At the Cottage
• Pack a supply of batteries for smoke and CO alarms and/or replacement alarms for older models. Remember, the low battery warning may have sounded during the winter months leaving the alarm inoperable;
• check burners and exhaust systems of all appliances for blockages or obstructions such as insects, rodent nests, rust fragments or other debris that could lead to dangerous levels of carbon monoxide;
• have propane or gas-fired appliances such as stoves, refrigerators and heaters inspected and/or repaired by a TSSA certified technician;
• use fuel burning space heaters according to the manufactures instructions and only in well ventilated areas. Every year, unsuspecting campers are seriously injured or killed due to carbon monoxide poisoning as the result of improper use;
• clean your barbecue and check for any fuel leaks by applying a 50/50 solution of water and dish soap and keep in mind barbeques are approved for outdoor use only.
Around the Campsite
• Ensure open-fires are permitted by local and provincial authorities. Clean up the fire pit and cut back any branches or brush that may have grown too close; and
• use only paper or kindling when starting a fire at your campsite. Be sure the fire is in a safe, open area, well away from flammables and other natural combustibles;
• Never leave a fire unattended.
* to minimize the risk of fire and burn injury, the fire service does not recommend family firework displays. If you choose to have such a display…
• Ensure the adult in charge has read and follows the directions on the fireworks package;
• discharge fireworks away from buildings, trees and dry grass;
• keep onlookers a safe distance away and only discharge if wind conditions do not create a hazard;
• light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground;
• have a water hose or pail of water close by when discharging, for dud fireworks wait 30 minutes then soak them in a bucket of water;
• keep sparklers away from children. Sparklers burn extremely hot and can ignite clothing, cause blindness and severe burns.
North Bay Fire Hazardous Material Division Responds to White Substance - North Bay Nugget
Union Gas Supports North Bay Fire & Emergency Services with $2,000 Grant for Carbon Monoxide Alarms
North Bay, ON, Nov. 6, 2018 – Union Gas supports North Bay Fire & Emergency Services with a $2,000 grant to help protect members of the community from exposure to carbon monoxide.
“Union Gas makes a conscious and daily commitment to keep our employees and our communities safe,” said Chris Ridler, field supervisor utility services, Union Gas. “We’re passionate about this commitment and very pleased to show our support to North Bay Fire & Emergency Services and their carbon monoxide alarm program which help keep the community safe.”
“This generous donation from Union Gas will continue to assist us in providing protection to those most in need. We will be working with our community partners, Union Gas and the Hawkins Gignac Foundation to identify those in need and provide assistance through an appliance maintenance program as well as providing carbon monoxide alarms,” said Michael Bechard, deputy fire chief, North Bay Fire & Emergency Services. “Working together we are better equipped to keep the residents of North Bay informed and safe.”
Firefighter Jim Daly will be assisting homeowners in North Bay to complete a wildland fire risk assessment (Fire Smart) of their property. His focus will be on the wildland area and the wildland interface area of the community. Homeowners completing the assessment will be given $5 off their 2019 open burning permit as an incentive and Thank You for helping to reduce the community fire risk. To receive the discount property owners must bring in their completed assessment when renewing or obtaining a burning permit for the 2019 season. For more information and a copy of the Fire Smart Risk Assessment Checklist see link below.
North Bay, ON – February 17, 2017 – In the wake of a fatal fire in Brampton, Ont. on Tuesday, February 14, the North Bay Fire and Emergency Services wants to remind the public to make sure that they have working smoke alarms on every storey of their home and outside all sleeping areas, and have practiced a home fire escape plan with everyone in their home.
It has not yet been determined if there were working smoke alarms in the fatal fire in Brampton.
“Many fatal fires occur at night when everyone is asleep, so early warning is crucial to survival,” says Fire Chief Jason Whiteley. “The Ontario Fire Code requires working smoke alarms on every storey of the home and outside all sleeping areas. For added protection, our fire department is recommending that you also install a smoke alarm in every bedroom. Larger homes may require additional smoke alarms.”
Just as important as having working smoke alarms is making sure everyone in your home knows exactly what to do to escape before a fire occurs.
“We want to make sure these types of tragedies do not happen in North Bay,” continued Chief Whiteley.
Simple smoke and carbon monoxide alarm tips:
Simple steps for home fire escape planning include:
For people who live in apartment buildings and need assistance to escape:
© Copyright 2014 City of North Bay